Click here for the full list of papers available online.
- “Organizational Change within Participating Institutions Related to the Medborgerskab Project” (2014) in Sasja Brovall Villumsen, Dorthe Juul Rugaard og Lise Sattrup ,Rum for Medborgerskab Copenhagen: Statens Museum for Kunst, p. 16-31.
- "Progressive Museum Education: Examples from the 1960s," (2013) International Journal of Progressive Education, 9 p. 61-76.
The entire issue is available as a PDF here.
- “The Social Responsibility of Museums in a Democracy”, (2012) Keynote address, Young People and Museums 2012 Conference, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Active Assessment for Active Science now available online!
From UK's National STEM Centre (Registration Required) • PDF (file size: 5.2MB)
- “Dewey's Debt to Barnes” • PDF (file size: 115 KB) Published in Curator: The Museum Journal, Volume 54 , pages 123-139. John Dewey’s association with Albert C. Barnes significantly influenced his monumental Art as Experience, a fact Dewey fully acknowledged both in that work and in other writings. Yet Barnes’s contribution to Dewey’s ideas has seldom been discussed. This article documents the extent to which Dewey relied on Barnes for his exposition of visual aesthetics.
- “Uma teoria democràtica de educação em museu: Democracia e museus” • • • PDF (file size: 502 KB) A paper prepared for the international conference, “Diálogos em Educação, Museu e Arte”, Porto Alegre, São Paulo and Recife, Brazil, October 2010. Translated into Portuguese by Gabriela Aidar and Milene Chiovatto.
- Learning in the Museum • • is now available in Japanese at
amazon.co.jp (ISBN : 4886215270)
- “La responsabilidad social de los museos” • • • PDF (file size: 164 KB) Paper presented at the International Museum Education Conference, “La aportación educativa de los museos a la Sociedad, Museo de Arte de Ponce”, San Juan, Puerto Rico, June 13, 2009. (Translated into Spanish.)
- “O dilemma da Educaçåo Cientifica: como ensinar quando os visitants apenas quere aprendar” • • • PDF (file size: 111 KB) Lecture presented April 13, 2005, at the 4th International Science Center World Congress, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, published in Marandino, M., Almeida, A. M. and Valente, M. E. A., editors (2009) Museu: lugar do público, Rio de Janeiro: Editora:Fiocruz. (Translated into Portuguese by the editors.)
- “Múzeumpedagógia: Nézzünk elöre!” • • PDF (file size: 49 KB) In Vásárhelyi, Tamás és Kárpáti ,Andrea, (editors) 2009 A múzeumi tanulás kézikönyve, Budapest: Magyar Természettudományi Múzeum. (Translated into Hungarian by the editors.)
- “An Optimistic Time” •
PDF (file size: 672 KB) An introductory chapter written in 2009 for Boston Stories: The Children's Museum as a Model for Nonprofit Leadership, a collaborative effort led by former Boston Children's Museum director Michael Spock, that includes conventional text, photographs, and illustrations; as well as companion media and a fully searchable and downloadable digital archive. Publication is expected soon.
Logic of Program Evaluation” • PDF (file size: 152 KB), (1995). Talk presented at the NSF sponsored conference, “Reflecting
on Our Work: NSF Teacher Enhancement in Mathematics, K-6”, Arlington,
VA, November 18-20, 1994; published in Friel, S. N. and Bright,
G. W. editors (1997) Reflecting
on Our Work: NSF Teacher Enhancement in K-6 Mathematics, Lanham, MD:
University Press of America, 151–162.
Role of Museums in Society: Education and Social Action" • PDF
(file size: 96 KB) , (2004). Essay published in Curator:
The Museum Journal, 48 357-363 (2005), condensed from
lectures presented in Corfu and Athens, Greece under the auspices of the
U.S. State Department, October 19–22, 2004.
- “Teoria del aprendizaje constructivista” • • •
PDF (file size: 882k) Spanish translation of “The Significance of Constructivism for Museum Education” presented at the CECA Conference, Museums and the Needs of the People, Jerusalem, 1991.
Century of Museum Education” • • •
PDF (file size: 3.5MB)
(in Mandarin) Taiwan Natural Science 27,
14-25. This article is based on two lectures delivered in
Taipei, Taiwan, January, 2008.
Lerntheorie” • •
PDF (file size: 156k)
(German translation of “Constructivist Learning
- “La teoria costruttivista della conoscenza
(e dell'apprendimento)” • •
PDF (file size: 144k)
(Italian translation of “The Significance
of Constructivism for Museum Education“)
Museo costruttivista” • •
PDF (file size: 188k)
(Italian translation of the 1995 JEM paper, “The
Progresiva y la Educación en Museos :
Anna Billings Gallup y Louise Connolly” • •
(Spanish translation of “Progressive
education and museum education: Anna Billings Gallup and Louise Connolly”) • PDF
(file size: 136k)
Education” • PDF (file size: 100k). In S. MacDonald (editor), A Companion
to Museum Studies, Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, 2006, Chapter 20.
Education 1965 and 2005: Myths and Differences”, (2006). A condensed version
of this paper, delivered at a symposium, Science Education
for a Thriving Democracy celebrating the 40th anniversary of the founding
of TERC, November 2005, was published in Hands
On! 29 4-6,19, 2006. •
PDF (file size: 60k)
education and museum education: Anna Billings Gallup and Louise Connolly” •
PDF (file size: 220k), (2006), Professor Emeritus, Lesley University “Progressive
education and museum education: Anna Billings Gallup and Louise Connolly”,
J. Museum Education, 31 161-174.
Dewey’s ‘Wholly Original Philosophy’ and
Its Significance for Museums”
(PDF from Curator 49/2) • April
(file size: 200k)
Dewey and Museum Education”
(PDF from Curator 47/4) • October
(file size: 548k)
Click here for the full list of papers available online.
of this page ©2009-2015 by George E. Hein. Contents may be quoted with proper attribution.